Saturday 21 September 2013

Are Power Salads Real or Myth?



  1. For those meat lovers out there, adding some grilled chicken or meat farandoles is a great addition to your healthy pasta salad.

    We've all been told to eat our veggies. We've all been told raw veggies are better than cooked veggies. Let's take a look at the salad and see if it really is a power food.

    And there are ways you can make it even more powerful:

    To add more substance and nutrients to your salads, nuts and fruits are a great idea - you add more nutrients and spice things up! My personal favorites are pine nuts, almonds, cranberries, mandarins and pears.

    With raw vegetables being so much higher in nutrients than cooked veggies, it's no wonder eating a large salad a day has been encouraged for many decades now. In just one sitting, you are able to receive approximately 5 servings of your daily intake. That is half of your recommended intake in just one meal. I'd say that's a power food!
  2. Salad Dressing Stumper!

    With all the hype about the importance of eating healthy salads, why is it so hard to find a salad dressing without sugar? I don't know about you, but every time I look for a ready made salad dressing, sugar seems to be one of the top 4 ingredients. I would have to say, out of 10, I only found one. To top it off, I did not even enjoy it.

    I do love my basic oil and vinegar salads, but I was in need of change.

    It just so happened that my sister-in-law introduced my husband and I to a great salad dressing. But the catch, it required sugar. So I decided to replace the sugar with Xylitol, a natural sweetener that even diabetics can enjoy. Let me tell you, it turned out GREAT! Both my husband and I couldn't tell the difference.

    So without any further delay, I'm going to share the recipe with you.......

    3 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
    1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
    1 Tsp Mustard
    1 Tsp Grey Sea Salt
    1 Tsp Xylitol

    Just mix all ingredients very well and presto, a great healthy dressing. I'm actually planning to try this dressing on Chicken and Fish as well.

    This will make enough for a large single serving. Double up the dressing to share your incredible salad with others.

    Who said healthy has no flavor!
  3. The Protein Power Salad for Weight Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment